I've posted about owl pellets over at Cornerstone, but I thought I'd give my Quingly Things readers a look at a couple videos of the owl pellet dissection. They are pretty long, so if your connection is slow, you'll have to come over to my house to see the videos. :-D
If you're squeamish, these may not be the videos for you. They're not graphic and I didn't find it disturbing to look at the pellet contents, but some people could be grossed out by it, I suppose. A word to the wise, as they say. You could at least listen. :-)
Ok, some clarifications - When I ask James what he has, he responds very low, saying "owl poop". James says maybe the skull is a VOLE or a RAT. Suzy says she's "skavering" (discovering) - trying to get some bones out of owl poop. James says the owl eats something and "gestes" it (digests).
Don't you love those hacking sounds and faces to illustrate how the owl regurgitates the pellet? lol
At the end of that video, James says he has vole teeth and then, "There's two heads stuck together!" However, after further investigation (when the camera was off) he realized he had the skull with teeth (upper jaw) and also the lower jaw.
The second video is shorter. It shows mostly how James dissects the skull with the orange teeth - photo on Cornerstone blog.
I love how we can "see" James thinking! lol
This was such a COOL project. Thank you again, Michele! And Penny, thanks for posting about it on your blog and further encouraging me to order those pellets!
8 years ago
4 comments:
ewww poop with fur and bones--Janet
Cool owl poop!!!!
Ah...homeschooling....feel the adventure..LOL!
I have been doing it continuously since 1989...and I still have a 5 year old at home. :P Great fun isn;t it?
That is a creative thing for them to do!
Post a Comment