Saturday, July 12, 2008

Reading Meme

I was just thinking last night how I would love to answer a good meme. This one is about reading - how apropos! It comes from the blog of Angela Elwell Hunt, an author I enjoy reading.

She says: This meme comes from Linda. Feel free to use it on your blog if you like!

1.
Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
My mom read to me a lot and taught me to read by age 4. It sort of took off from there! LOL

2. What are some books you read as a child? I read lots of series books - Trixie Belden, The Happy Hollisters, The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Dana Girls, Cherry Ames, The Triplets. I also remember some books - true stories of nurses, true stories of heroic horses, and such. And of course, The Chronicles of Narnia, which just about defined my childhood. I read SO MANY books. I remember one summer I read over 100 books for the summer reading program.

3. What is your favorite genre? I read many kinds of things, but not much sci-fi. I really enjoy mystery novels, especially with a comic element. For a while I read a lot of "cozy" mysteries, but I am getting bored with them now - how many dead bodies can one person stumble across? lol

4. Do you have a favorite novel? The Lord of the Rings

5. Where do you usually read? At the table, at work, in the recliner, on the porch swing, and yes, even in the bathroom. Never in bed.

6. When do you usually read? Whenever I can - while I eat usually. On my breaks at work sometimes. After work sometimes.

7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time? Definitely I read more than one book at a time.

8. Do you read non-fiction in a different way or place than you read fiction? No, I read it the same way. If it's good non-fiction, it's just as compelling as fiction.

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library? I check them out of the library or get them on paperbackswap. I also buy them used. Sorry, starving authors, but my $10/hr job doesn't allow for purchasing a lot of new books. I REALLY have to like a book to buy it brand new.

10. Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them? I don't buy a lot of fiction since I don't often re-read fiction. Otherwise I do keep most of my books, maybe 80%. I always have a pile of books for sale and for swapping.

11. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child? I have read quite a few of my favorites aloud to my children - not the series books. I've read aloud Gone Away Lake, Key to the Treasure, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, Homer Price, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The 21 Balloons, and lots more.

12. What are you reading now? I just finished Persuasion for my book club. I also read Journey, the 3rd book in the series about Joseph by Angela Elwell Hunt. I am reading Courting Trouble by Deeanne Gist. I have two other books sitting here that were recommended to me by family members and neither one is calling my name.

13. Do you keep a TBR (To Be Read) list? I do now, since I found Shelfari! Also I made an 888 reading list this year and that has helped me when I've been at loose ends for what to read next. Also I am in a Jane Austen book club and that means I will be reading all her novels this year.

14. What's next? I'm hoping Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility for book club. Other than that, I'm not quite sure. I have a stack and something waiting for me at the library.

15. What books would you like to reread? The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis, the Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, She's Gonna Blow by Julie Ann Barnhill, Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich, The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. I will re-read all these before the end of the year, except maybe the Evanovich.

16. Who are your favorite authors? J.RR. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Diana Gabaldon, Janet Evanovich, Francine Rivers, Jeffery Deaver, Ted Dekker

That's it! Feel free to be tagged!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pretty much taught yourself to read (off cereal boxes to start) and we simply encouraged you along the way!!! Love, Mom

Tiffany said...

This is fun--I will definitely be using it on my blogs. I also loved the Mark of the Lion Trilogy. I have read almost everything by Francine Rivers. I'm also a huge Ted Dekker fan, I think I've read everything by him.