The ranch on the western plains welcomed Mara like the mother she had never known. As Brock's pickup sped down long dusty roads, she felt warm arms enfold her. (METAPHORICALLY - no real arms were enfolding her. How can a ranch welcome Mara like a mother she had never known? If she never knew her mother, she had never been welcomed by her, right? I know that's not what the author MEANT, but it's what she wrote.)
“Mara,” he began, demanding order of the words that tumbled through his mind like falling blocks. (This comparison just draws attention to itself, instead of to the confusion of the speaker.)
The moon gleamed like a silver Christmas ornament cushioned in the dusky blue velvet of gathering night. (OK, why is the ornament not on the TREE?)
[In the following quote, Abby is an infant.]
No bigger than a pearl, Abby's nose drank in the clean New Mexico air.... Little hands, curled like miniature sweet rolls, were nestled against her chin.
(The baby's hands are compared to SWEET ROLLS! ROFL This one just made me shake my head in exasperation.)
Note that these are just a FEW of the more obvious comparisons that I found within just minutes of searching back through the book.
I was always taught that one should avoid using comparisons for the sake of just using a comparison. If it doesn't add something to the effectiveness of the words, it should be left out. Here's an article about being judicious with the use of comparisons in writing.
If you feel like reading more terrible similes and metaphors, check out this blog post, which includes a collection of very very awkward comparisons submitted by teachers across the country. Here's an example to whet your appetite.
16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.
4 comments:
OH, I just loved the little sweet roll hands! Truly I did... sorry!
These made me chuckle!!! Love, Mom
Oh boy, I would have definitely put that book down immediately!
The moon gleamed like a silver Christmas ornament cushioned in the dusky blue velvet of gathering night. (OK, why is the ornament not on the TREE?)
Ummmm... the night sky isn't green! And I haven't seen many blue Christmas trees! I kinda liked this one- it makes you picture the brightness of the moon against the darkness of the sky. But then again- what do I know!
She timidly pressed enter, like a deer walking amid the hunters!
:) LOLOLOL
Hugs!
M
Post a Comment