Some of the things we dot:
- Use half as much of the product. For example, cut all the fabric softener sheets in half. They still work as well, but you get twice as many. Use half the laundry detergent or shampoo.
- Buy the store brand whenever possible. It's almost always just as good and almost always MUCH cheaper.
- Watch the grocery store ads and plan your meals around what's on sale, instead of planning your menu first.
- Never pay full price for anything if you can help it. Buy on sale, ahead if possible so you'll have it when you need it.
- Rethink buying things like DVD's, books, CD's, video games, games, toys, etc... If you still want it after a few days, then reconsider. If you can borrow it, do so. Will you really watch/read/play/use it more than once?
- Frequent your thrift store for clothing and other items. I should do a post just on this, but you can get just about all your clothes you need there if you have a good store nearby. Underwear and socks are the exception in my experience. Other items are often available there too. I recently bought a coffeemaker that works great!
- If you smoke or drink regularly, QUIT. Great for your health and wallet.
- Consider the bills you pay every month - are they necessary? Obviously you have to pay your housing and heating costs. Do you have to have your cell phone? Cable TV? Internet? Movie rentals? Gym membership? You may find you are able to eliminate something extraneous here.
- Use your library! Interlibrary loan for me is FREE and I can get just about anything I want to read, watch, or listen to. Your librarian is your friend!
- Grow a garden. Too late for this year, but plan one during the colder months and get ready for spring!
- Drink water. Cut out pop, coffee, juice, Koolaid, teas, etc... Water is cheap or free and healthy too! (OK, I am working on this! I drink Diet Coke and coffee, but we drink mostly water at all our meals.)
Maybe you already do all these. Stay tuned. I'll try to give some more ideas in the near future. Feel free to leave your ideas in the comments!
2 comments:
Good hints here. I especially like the ones about using half the product and using the library!! Love, Mom
Yes! Librarian = friend
Christy
Post a Comment