Went out with some of my coworkers Thursday night after work. (That'd actually be Friday since it was past midnight.) They often stop off for drinks after work but I've never gone although I have been asked several times. This time when they asked if I wanted to go, I said yes.
We went to a very very loud tavern. I drank Sprite. I stayed for about 30 minutes. They drank a lot - had at least 2 rounds (some had 4, I think) before I left. They stayed longer than me too.
OK, I was really envisioning a quieter bar and sitting and chatting over a drink. That's how it was presented to me anyway. This place was so loud that any conversation had to be shouted. The goal for several was clearly to get drunk.
I went because I want to show my coworkers that I do care about them and that I don't say "no" to their drinking invitations because I don't like them. Does that make sense? I don't plan to make a habit of stopping off for a drink.
So, I'd love your opinions. Is it sin just to go into a bar, as I know some people feel? (I obviously don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong?) Could it be sin for some people, depending on their motivations or inclinations? Is it wrong to sit with others who are drinking alcohol if you're not drinking? Is it a sin to drink for that matter? I know these kinds of questions bring out strong opinions, but I'm up for it! I pretty much know what I believe, but I always am interested in hearing what others think.
I am quite sure that the other Christians at work heard about it, but none of THEM mentioned it to me today. LOL However, during our shift awareness meeting, the conversation strayed to the question of one of the other Christians going into a bar and he said he never would, because he "has to do what's right." Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I figured it could have been. Then again, he's quite direct in his conversation, so he'd probably just come right out and tell me what he thought.
By the way, I felt very much like a fish out of water and today when anyone asked if I had fun, that's what I said, followed by, "But I really liked spending time with you guys!" I think that was well-received. In fact, I was invited to a bonfire tonight after work. I declined that invitation because of several reasons, not the least of which was gas money, but also I knew that would be far more wild than the bar.
One more thing - I am very troubled by how much some of my coworkers had to drink knowing that each one had to drive home. I am far more worried about this than about my going or not going out after work, in fact. What is my responsibility here, if any?
8 years ago
6 comments:
Jesus would go into the bar. To be with the people. He goes where the people are. To be with them. To accept them for who they are. To befriend them for who they are. Not to get drunk with them or carouse but to hang out and be a presence. The best thing you can do is to pray for your friends. It is not a sin to go to the bar. It would be more of a sin to point fingers, judge, isolate and act holier than thou. They will respect you and your faith even if you are not talking about it- because you were there with them.
Christians think that God is at church but God is in the strip clubs, the bar, the mall..etc. He is where the people are.
I think you went with your leading and did just right! Because of your home responsibilities I doubt anyone would think you would make a habit of it. I agree with you that it's scary to think of the drinking and driving that goes on. Love, Mom
I think your first comment by anonymous said it best!
It is a really scarey thought that these people were driving drunk.
I think its wise you declined the bon fire invitation...
Mich
I think going to the bar was fine. As long as YOU didn't compromise your Christian values and remained a good example you are only strengthening your relationship with people...which is good.
oops I was the first annon..-Janet
Yeah, I think Janet said it very well!
Oh, and the website I did was the Google Page Creator - super easy to do.
:)
Post a Comment