Saturday, June 28, 2008

Angel Food

Picked up my Angel Food Ministries order today.

What is Angel Food?

"Joe and Linda Wingo founded Angel Food Ministries in 1994 to provide food for friends and neighbors who were struggling financially. Today, they are still doing the same thing. The Angel Food program now is helping provide food relief to more than 500,000 families each month."

The $30 pack for June included:
1.5 lb. Rib Eye Steaks (4 x 6 oz)
1.5 lb. Hamburger Patties (4 x 6 oz)
2 lb. Pork Riblets
1 Whole chicken
2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders
20 oz. Supreme Pizza
1 lb. Mild Italian Sausage
1 lb. Tater Tots
16 oz. Sliced Carrots
16 oz. Mixed Vegetables
32 oz. Borden 2% Reduced Fat Shelf Stable Milk
6 oz. Pancake Mix
15 oz. Pork and Beans
14 oz. Ketchup
7.5 oz. Macaroni & Cheese
1 Dozen Eggs
1 Bag cookies

I bought 2 of these packages.

The food is supposed to be enough to feed a single person for a month and a family of 4 for a week. I figured that 2 packages would feed my family of 6 for nearly two weeks, supplemented with fresh veggies and fruits, as well as pantry items (like rice and potatoes). We'll see. The food looks to be good quality. Each month has a a different menu, which you can see on their site.

You can also buy special packages if you buy at least one of the regular packages. I decided against it this month.

There is no income requirement for this ministry. All you have to do to qualify for participation is EAT. lol Check if there is a local ministry for you. My church does it now, so it's just down the road for me. (Yes, Jen, there are participating churches in your area! lol)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I heard about that before! Sounds cool.

Niffercoo said...

LOL I'd actually heard about it before! It's a great deal!

Anonymous said...

its here in grand rapids too--

Tiffany said...

I've gotten Angel Food before. It is such a good deal. I stopped getting it because there were a couple of months in a row when the food just wasn't what we liked. I like their special packages better than the actual regular package but you have to get the regular in order to get the specials. I actually knew the Wingos when I was in elementary school. I was friends with their sons and spent a lot of time at their house.