Saturday, May 16, 2009

Stylin' Suzy, Playing in Puddles

Thursday I had intended to go to some garage sales, but it was very very windy. I didn't look forward to fighting the breeze so I decided to put it off for a day. So, Thursday we hunkered down in the house. At least until soccer practice. Both James and Suzy had a 6pm practice scheduled. It was still rather windy, but it was warmer and sunny, so practice was pleasant.

The garage sales occupied quite a chunk of Friday. I am not an early morning garage sale shopper, though. I still find good stuff! I came home with quite a few items of clothing, mostly for Suzy. Found a book, a VHS movie (A Walk in the Clouds - love it!), a fitted sheet for one of the boy's beds, a pair of winter boots for Suzy, a couple computer games, a turntable for my spices, a couple of art smocks, and a bunch of other stuff. James got a pair of heelies that he was pretty excited about and you should have seen how Suzy was stylin' by the time she got home! Oh wait, here's a photo. The shirt is the only thing left of what she was wearing when we left the house. lol

Also, I bought a huge box of Polly Pocket stuff for Suzy's birthday. (Yes, we do secondhand gifts here - more bang for your buck. Which would you rather have? One piddling Polly Pocket set for $15 or a huge box of it for $15? Well, I know which my daughter would rather have! lol) Also got her a dressing table with mirror and stool. It's white metal, but Bob is going to paint it pink for her and we're going to recover the seat. She is THRILLED and doesn't care a bit that she knows what she's getting. Will post pix of those on her b-day.

By the way, three of the kids went with me to the sales since they had accomplished five days' worth of lessons in four days. One had to stay behind and work to avoid being grounded for the weekend.

After the garage sales, I heated up a couple frozen pizzas and moved on to part two of our day - taking Emily to a party. A trip to Walmart was necessary beforehand and then on to the birthday girl's house. Suzy and I were invited to hang out for a bit, so we did, watching the gift opening, sharing the delish chocolate cake and ice cream. (Have you ever had Drumstick flavor ice cream? Like the cones, but actually mixed in? Yum!) Then we played kickball until dark and headed home.

Today Suzy had 9:00 soccer. The fields were even wetter than last week, but this time around, the league allowed the coaches to make the decision. So we played! No more rescheduling, please! The kids were wet wet wet! So was David, who wiped out before the game. lol He always ref's my games for me.

James had a 10:30 game and by this time, it was windy and rainy. Lovely soccer weather. But he played great, with at least one assist and some GREAT defensive play! Both the kids' teams tied up at 1-1.

Can you believe I haven't taken any photos of spring soccer? Coaching messes that up big time!

I signed James and Suzy up for soccer for next year. They asked me about coaching and I declined. Be proud of me! However, I am considering a registrar position which would be RIGHT up my alley with data entry and organizing. Pray about that, if you would. It is a big commitment, but one I think I'd enjoy and excel at.

Emily has been napping since she came home, for a couple hours, but I've rousted her and made her do her chores. Kids who stay up all night still have to participate in family activities. :-) I'm thinking she'll be early to bed.

Bob's going to head out to a perennial sale soon, in hopes of scoring some nice plants. I also want some LILACS cut and in vases here. I hope he brings some of those back from somewhere!

We have one more week of lessons and then we're calling our school year complete! We will continue to work on Bible, math, reading, and writing through the summer, as well as a unit on map skills and one on child survival skills, as well as some nature study.

Suzy turns seven this Tuesday!

Oh yeah, one more thing. David ordered his Tracfone this week. Yes, we allowed it. However, if it's abused? It's confiscated. No questions.

Several good friends are going through some awful things lately. I'm amazed at how much tragedy surrounds us. I'm spending a lot of time praying.

4 comments:

MICHELE said...

Good Morning Lisa!

What a busy couple of days you've had! Great overview of everything!

I love the garage sale finds! I'm not an early morning garage saler, either... I don't like crowds! SHUDDER!

I am so glad you posted pics of your treasures... you knew I'd nail you for that, right?

Your pal, Mich., who would love to share a bouquet of lilacs with you!

Debbie Schlarb said...

Happy birthday to Suzy!!!

Anonymous said...

Suzy looks so grown up in her photo there......"stylin'" is the right word there! Love, Mom

Denise Bryant said...

Yeah, stylin' Suzy for sure! I enjoy reading what you've been up to!