Friday, December 10, 2010

Weekly Preview and Review

Saturday - Book Club
Sunday -SNOWED IN, Christmas Decorating
Monday - WORK 5 hrs, Christmas School, Gymnastics
Tuesday
- WORK, XMAS School, Leadership Dinner
Wednesday - WORK, XMAS School
Thursday - WORK, XMAS School
Friday - WORK, Christmas Skating Party, Leave for GR?
Saturday - Family Christmas in GR
Sunday - Come home from GR (without Suzy!)

The homeschool meeting last Monday ended up canceled - not enough people RSVP'd. Which normally would have bugged me, but it meant I didn't have to rush from one meeting to the other. So, I stayed at the soccer board meeting longer.

We did "Christmas School" on Monday, but the rest of the week kinda bit the dust for extra Christmas-y things. Emily was working on something difficult in math and I needed to give her extra help which ate up a large amount of my day. Also David was called in to do computer consulting again at that private school two days this week. They paid him by giving him two computers, which he was geeked about, but isn't going to help him pay for his driver's training.
He's going to be taking his classes starting in mid-January and he needs to come up with quite a bit more money before then. I hope he has a plan, because I am not going to be able to bail him out of that.

I've been doing a bit of consulting for the company that provides our online foreign language curriculum and they set up an interview for me with a local newspaper. The article was about how technology is used in home education and I had a phone interview. Great! I don't mind ever talking about home education, especially with computers and technology. But then, he said he wanted to send a photographer out and really the article wouldn't run without photos anyway. So, I agreed, despite being very much out of my comfort zone. I don't have people over much. And these photos of my home and our learning would be published for anyone to see! But I bit the bullet. The kids weren't keen on the idea either, but they agreed and they were very co-operative. The article was supposed to be in Friday's Flint Journal. But it wasn't. Augh!

UPDATE (Sunday) - The article was on the FRONT PAGE of Sunday's paper. A big picture of Suzy (though they spelled it "Susan" @@) and Bob. Inside the paper, there was a pic of me and Emily. All in all, a nice article about technology in home education. When I can find a link, I'll post it.

Thursday night we were invited to go with friends to see the Christmas display a relative puts on - quite a spectacle!! Lights, wooden cutouts, elaborately designed wooden reindeer, piped-in Christmas music - it was like being at Bronner's - REALLY. Amazing display. Then we were invited in for refreshments - these people know how to entertain! What a lovely tradition. He starts decorating before Halloween!

"Gingerbread" houses were the plan for Friday. Friends invited us over to collaborate on gingerbread houses and we gladly agreed. The kids had a grand time and I enjoyed visiting with adults.

James spent Friday night attending a friend's basketball game and then spending the night. The rest of us had a low-key night. Well, *I* had to finish my work hours (still working at midnight) since I played all day.

The snow started early Sunday morning and when we got up (rather late, I'll admit), everything was white and sparkling. (Kind of like a Twilight vampire, only prettier.) It snowed ALL DAY. Monday it's supposed to start blowing. All the schools are closed, so I don't know if we will have gymnastics. But we didn't go anywhere Sunday. I was supposed to go to a movie and Emily was supposed to do a babysitting fundraiser - canceled.

Have a great week!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading about the Wagners in the Flint Journal!! Love, Mom

Wee Pip said...

Glad you stepped out of your comfort zone! The online article was nice. I didn't see the photo of you with Emily in the online edition. Overall, I thought it was a very positive representation of homeschoolers. You were a great choice for the interview!

Debbie Schlarb said...

See you this weekend!!!

Niffercoo said...

Where is the online link to the article?? That's just too cool! You're all famous! :)